Thursday, July 5, 2007

Part time in '08?



Several sources, including Sterling himself, have said that there is a strong possibility of Sterling cutting back to a part time schedule next year. Basically Sterling said that he doesn't want to stop racing completely, because he loves it, but the travel's getting old.

Jayski is reporting that they've heard that Sterling may go to Furniture Row Racing next year :0 I hope that doesn't happen because I'd hate to see him driving for such a bad team. Ginn is bad enough, but dropping down to a third teir team.....that would suck. I mean, with a part time schedule we don't get to see him in every race anyway, and then with FRR we'd probably only get to see him qualify. I know that Sterling can qualify his way in when he has to, he's proven that this year, but you can only do so much with 3rd rate equipment. Also, FRR get's their stuff from Ginn! Sterling all ready gets 2nd rate Ginn equipment, and that's bad enough. Imagine that crap he'd get at FRR!

It's Sterling's choice and I'll support his decision no matter where he goes, even if it's Micheal Waltrip Racing, but I hope that he stays with Ginn. It all depends on the sponsors though, so they'll have to wait and see how it shakes out. Right now, sponsors aren't looking good so let's hope for a strong run at Daytona so they notice him! If Sterling leaving Ginn means going to a 3rd teir team, then I'd much rather Sterling stay with Ginn.

There's also the number thing. This is from an article on NOL, "Frye said those plans included Smith in one full-time Nextel Cup car, either the No. 13 or No. 14."

So where does that put Sterling or Joe? Mark Martin is going to stay part time in the 01, so would Sterling share a ride with him? I doubt it, because I think they want on of their development drivers in that spot. So would Sterling get a new number and just give up the owner points he worked hard to earn to stay in the top 35 to Smith? That sounds familiar, doesn't it? (For those slow one, Joe Nemecheck ;)) What if Joe leaves? I haven't heard anything about that though, but I think it's possible. I'm kind of doubting that we'll see Sterling in the 14 car next year though, but believe me I want him in that car, but I guess we'll just have to see.

No comments: